Saturday 12 October saw the latest Bakewell DBA event – the matched pairs tournament. This involved players bringing along two historically matched armies – sometimes you played with your own pair, sometimes with your opponent’s. The way it works is that if you are playing with your own pair of armies, your opponent generally gets to choose which army. This encourages players to make the armies as matched as possible and also results in battles between weaker, but still interesting armies. I REALLY like this format!
Here is the action getting underway – the Medway Centre is an excellent venue in the centre of the historic market town of Bakewell in the Peak District National park.
Here are the players – there were 20 in all + me as organiser/umpire:
Front row left to right – myself, Tim Kohler, Phil Johnson, Craig Allen and Martin Myers.
Rear row left to right -Rob Rush, Richard Pulley, Mark Johnson, Pete Duckworth, Tim Rogers, Baldie, Paul Murgatroyd, Stevie Andrews, Colin Alcock, Scott Russell, Nick Wright-Carter, Kevin Casey, Phil Donald, Frank Shaw, Richard Madder. (John Saunders attended but had to leave just before the team photo).
Here are the overall rankings. The scoring system was 3 win, 1 draw, 0 lose with sum of opponents’ scores being used to break ties and, if still a tie, net elements killed.
- Pete Duckworth IV/55b Ottoman and IV/61 Italian Condotta with Albanian Allies
- Richard Pulley IV/18 Lithuanians and !V/65 Wallachians
- Baldie I/52b Spartans and !/60 Early Achaemenid Persians
- Paul Murgatroyd II/19d Seleucid and II/20c Ptotolomeic
- Scott Russell Feudal English and Navarrese
- Rob Rush I/3 Nubian and I/7a Libyan
- Kevin Casey IV/83a Tudor army and IV/83c Rebel Army
- Tim Rogers II/19b South Welsh and II/19c Nort Welsh
- Phil Johnson Palmyran and Middle Imperial Roman
- Craig Allen Communal Italian and Papal Italian
- John Saunders IV/9 Forest Indians and III/19 North Welsh
- Mark Johnson Sea peoples and Later Hittite Imperial
- Martin Myers II/25 Bosporan and II/48 Mithridatic
- Philip Donald II/32a Later Carthagenian and II/33 Polybian Roman
- Frank Shaw III/40 Vikings and Leidang
- Stevie Andrews Polybian Romans and Gauls
- Richard Madder II/4a Chine Chinese and II/4c Chao Chinese
- Colin Alcock II/32a Later Carthagenian and II/33 Polybian Roman
- Tim Kohler II/17a Lysimachid and II/5d Thessalian
- Nick Wright-Carter IV/59b Samurai and IV/78 Korean
Nice guy Gavin at Alternative Armies kindly provided packs of figures as prizes.
The next Bakewell event will be HoTT Good bad and Ugly Tournament – places still available!